1 a serious disagreement between two groups of people (typically producing tension or hostility)
1 separate into parts or portions; "divide the cake into three equal parts"; "The British carved up the Ottoman Empire after World War I" [syn: split, split up, separate, dissever, carve up] [ant: unite]
3 act as a barrier between; stand between; "The mountain range divides the two countries" [syn: separate]
5 make a division or separation [syn: separate]
6 force, take, or pull apart; "He separated the fighting children"; "Moses parted the Red Sea" [syn: separate, disunite, part]
EtymologyFrom etyl la divido
- To split or separate (something) into two or more parts.
- To share (something)
by dividing it.
- How shall we divide this pie?
- transitive arithmetic To calculate the
number (the quotient)
by which you must multiply one given number (the divisor) to produce a second
given number (the dividend).
- If you divide 6 by 3, you get 2.
- To separate into two or more parts.
- Of a cell, to reproduce by dividing.
split or separate into two or more parts
share by dividing
separate into two or more parts
- A thing that divides.
- Stay on your side of the divide, please.
- An act of dividing.
- The divide left most of the good land on my share of the property.
- A distancing between two people or things.
- There is a great divide between us.
- third-person singular indicative present of dividere
Articles concerning Divide include:
- Water divide or watershed, a ridge of land between two drainage basins
- Continental divide, a water divide between the drainage of two oceans
- Continental Divide, the North American divide between the Atlantic and Pacific oceans
- Divide, Saskatchewan, Canada
- Divide, Colorado, USA
- Divide County, North Dakota, USA
- Triple Divide Peak, in Glacier National Park, Montana, USA
- Great Divide Basin, in Wyoming, USA
- Division (mathematics)
- Divide and conquer algorithm, in computer science
- Divide-and-conquer eigenvalue algorithm, a concept in the linear algebra branch of mathematics
- Continental Divide (movie)
- The Great Divide, an album by Scott Stapp
- Across The Great Divide, an album by Canadian-American rockers The Band
- Divide and rule, a strategy of gaining and maintaining power
- Digital divide, the socio-economic difference between communities in their access to computers and the Internet
- North-South divide, between wealthy developed countries and poorer developing countries
- Cultural divide
- Mercedes divide, separating those who can afford a Mercedes-Benz car from those who cannot
divide in French: Divide
divide in Polish: Divide
Continental Divide, Great Divide, aberrate, abrupt, add, aggravate, agree to differ, agree to disagree, algebraize, alienate, allocate, allot, alphabetize, analyze, anatomize, apportion, appraise, appreciate, arrange, assay, assess, assign, assort, atomize, ballot, be at variance, be in dissent, be partners in, beg to differ, bifurcate, bisect, bolt, bound, branch, branch out, break down, break up, break with, broach, by two, calculate, calibrate, caliper, canvass, carve, carve up, cast, cast a ballot, cast off, cast out, catalog, categorize, change, check a parameter, chink, chop, chop logic, cipher, circumscribe, class, classify, cleave, codify, collate, come between, compute, contradistinguish, cooperate, cordon, cordon off, count, crack, crevasse, cull out, cut, cut adrift, cut in two, cut off, cut open, cut out, cut up, deal, deal out, decrease, delete, demarcate, demark, depart, deploy, desynonymize, detach, dial, dichotomize, differ, difference, differentiate, digest, dimidiate, disaccord, disaffect, disagree, disagree with, disarticulate, disburse, disconnect, discord, discord with, discriminate, disengage, disequalize, disjoin, disjoint, dispart, dispense, disperse, dissect, dissent, dissent from, dissociate, distinguish, distribute, district, disunite, divaricate, diverge, diversify, divide into shares, divide on, divide up, divide with, divorce, divvy, divvy up, divvy up with, dole out, dope out, draw the line, drop out, eject, enclose, estimate, estrange, evaluate, expel, extract roots, fall out, fan out, fan the flame, fathom, fence off, figure, figure in, figure out, file, fission, fissure, fix, fly open, fork, gauge, ghettoize, gin, give out, go away, go even stephen, go fifty-fifty, go halvers, go halves, go off, go shares, gradate, grade, graduate, group, halve, have a falling-out, in half, incise, increase, index, individualize, individuate, insulate, irritate, isolate, keep apart, keep aside, lay aside, lay open, leave, light the fuse, limit, list, make a distinction, make trouble, mark, mark off, mark out, mark the interface, measure, measure out, mensurate, mete, mete out, meter, modify, multiply, not agree, number, ope, open, open up, oppose, order, organize, outspread, pace, panel, parcel, parcel out, part, part company, particularize, partition, personalize, pick out, pigeonhole, pit against, place, plumb, plump, poll, portion, prize, probe, prorate, provoke, pull away, pull back, pull out, put aside, put in order, quantify, quantize, quarantine, quota, ramify, range, rank, rate, ration, reckon, reduce, reduce to elements, refine a distinction, rent, resolve, riddle, rift, rip, rive, score, screen, screen out, secede, seclude, section, segment, segregate, select, separate, sequester, set a limit, set against, set apart, set aside, set at odds, set at variance, set off, set on, sever, severalize, share, share in, share out, share with, shift, shut off, sic on, sieve, sieve out, sift, sift out, size, size up, slice, slice the pie, slice up, slit, sort, sort out, sound, sow dissension, span, specialize, splay, split, split hairs, split in two, split the difference, split up, spread, spread out, spring open, stand apart, stand aside, step, step aside, stir up trouble, subdivide, subordinate, subtilize, subtract, sunder, surround, survey, swing open, tabulate, take a reading, take account of, take exception, take issue, tally, tap, tear, tear open, thrash, thresh, throw off, throw open, throw out, transect, triangulate, type, uncouple, unyoke, valuate, value, vary, vote, wall off, water parting, watershed, weigh, winnow, withdraw, withhold assent, work out, zone